2015 Parent Participation Registration will open Friday, June 5th at 6pm
Click Here: Parent Participation 2015 to begin
For a list of exact jobs available, please click: 2015 Parent Participation Jobs
Note: If you signed up for a job at the Parent Orientation, it will be added to your account automatically and you will receive a confirmation by Friday, June 5th.
Parent Participation Information
The Board warmly welcomes all new and returning families to the 2015 Daruma no Gakko summer program. Daruma no Gakko requires one parent per family to sign-up for one GROUP 1: SCHOOL SITE participation AND one GROUP 2: COMMITTEE assignment per student. Parents from the same family cannot sign up for the same job on the same day even if there is more than one slot to fill. One family cannot sign up for the same job even if it has slots for different days and times, e.g. cooking. Please note that childcare for siblings not attending Daruma is not provided during your volunteer shift.
GROUP 1: SCHOOL SITE / CRAFT PARTICIPATION (one per child):
- SCHOOL ASSISTANT: Assist with daily snacks, kitchen and bathroom clean up, supervise curbside drop-off, and miscellaneous help as needed. 8:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- PLAYGROUND SUPERVISOR: Provide adult supervision before class time and during recess periods, bathroom clean up and miscellaneous help as needed. 8:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- CLASSROOM ASSISTANT: Assist with various projects in class. You may sign up for only one classroom assistant slot per family even if you have more than one child enrolled. Dates and times vary and may be subject to change.
- COOKING ASSISTANT: Assist with cooking projects, help with food preparation, assist students, kitchen and bathroom clean up, and miscellaneous help as needed. Dates and times vary. You may sign up for only one cooking slot per family even if you have more than one child enrolled.
- CRAFT PROJECTS: Assist with arts & crafts, sewing, carpentry etc. Many of these projects can be done at home. If any special equipment is required, e.g. sewing machine or table saw, it must be provided by the parent volunteer.
GROUP 2: COMMITTEE / SNACK PARTICIPATION (one per child):
- UNDOKAI COMMITTEE: Assist with planning and running of Undokai (Family Sports Day) on Saturday, June 20th. Must also attend one mandatory evening meeting TBA at 7pm at BMU.
- GAKUGEIKAI COMMITTEE: Assist with set-up, serving refreshments and clean-up for the end-of-session school performance on Friday, July 10th. Must also attend one mandatory evening meeting TBA (tentatively planned for Thursday, June 25 at 7pm at BMU).
- SCHOOL SET-UP TRANSPORTATION: Meet at storage facility on Sunday, June 14th at 12:30 p.m. Transport boxes from storage to BMU. Unload boxes, help build wall between classrooms and assist with moving furniture. Must have a large truck or minivan. Please bring a hand truck or dolly.
- SCHOOL SET-UP UNPACKING: Assist with unpacking and shelving supplies, moving furniture and setting up classrooms on Sunday, June 14th from 1:30 to approx 5:00pm.
- SCHOOL SET-DOWN PACKING/INVENTORY: Assist with inventory, and packing of school supplies to storage on Thursday, July 9th from 9:00 a.m. – approx 1:00 p.m.
- SCHOOL SET-DOWN TRANSPORTATION to STORAGE: Assist with transporting boxes from BMU to storage unit. Must have a large truck or minivan. Please bring a hand truck or dolly. Meet at BMU at 4:00pm on Thursday, July 9th.
- TEACHER / BOARD APPRECIATION: Assist with the Teacher Board Appreciation Luncheon held at BMU on the last Wednesday of the session, July 8th (approx 12pm – 3pm).
Please remember to write down your assignments! You will NOT receive a reminder about your Parent Participation job assignments! Daruma no Gakko is a 501(c)(3) non-profit parent cooperative and parent participation is vital to our program. We respectfully strive to keep parent participation mutually beneficial for our program as well as each of our families.
If you can provide extra volunteer help, please tell your child’s teacher. The teachers have so much to convey in so little time that your effort will be greatly appreciated.